Saturday, June 20, 2009

Getting ready to roll

I am a turtle; love to ride but plodding - like to look around rather than race to the finish. I'm relatively new to cycling; rode 500 miles in 2006, 625 in 2007, and 1400 in 2008. Took my Giant to Europe in 2007 and rode some stretches of the Rhine and Moselle Rivers during a 9-week stay. The only multi-day organized ride I've participated in so far was the Bonton Roulet in July '08. Think I prefer independent traveling with my bike on the car rack and hitting the various Rails to Trails that I pass on my trips around the country. I'm serious about commuting by bike as much as possible (couple of times a week to work, library, church). I'm going to use this space to share some of the trails I have experienced and create a wish list of opportunities for the months ahead. Would love to hear suggestions from my readers or compare observations on a particular trail.

4 comments:

  1. I've noticed in the southwest part of town where I live, they are incorporating biking lanes in the new roads they build. They are now finishing up the bridge overpass over near the railroad tracks located on Blue Diamond and Jones. I wonder if they will install biking lanes there?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The BLM has proposed building a bike & hike trail that would parallel 159 from Summerlin to Blue Diamond. Last October we rode in the Perini Green charity ride that was mostly on back roads and streets but incorporated several bike paths in the SW side of Las Vegas. We live near the new North Las Vegas Wash hike and bike trail that must be about 5 miles long. Henderson has got many miles of paths that separate bikers from traffic. Our region is definitely waking up to the benefits of safe biking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She SPOKES for me, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thats alot of miles, my ex use to be a triamphalon and came in 2nd place to lance armstrong in the olympics in 1989.

    ReplyDelete